Do you know what piece of equipment has the potential to take your boxing to the next level?
A double end speed bag!
If you spend any time watching pre-match fight footage, you have probably seen your favorite Boxer, MMA, or UFC fighter warming up with one of these.
Getting a hold of one of the best double end bags is easily one of the top investments you can make in your lineup of boxing gym tools.
I will make my case for why a double end speed bag is so helpful, How to choose one, how to use one, and offer 11 of the best double end bag reviews to help you decide which is right for you.
- Why should I invest in a double end bag for my boxing gym?
- How do I choose the right double end bag?
- What is the right way to use a double end bag?
- Training using a double end bag
- Top 11 Best Double End Bag Reviews 2018
- RDX Double End Speed Ball Bag Leather
- Amber Elite Ultra Rebound Double End Bag
- TITLE Classic Advanced Double End Bag
- Lonsdale Barn Burner Leather Reaction Ball
- WINNING Speed Punching Bag SB-7500 Double End
- TITLE Double End Bag
- Ringside Leather Double End Bag
- Ringside Cleto Reyes Double Double End Bag
- Fighting Sports Pro Double End Bag
- Outslayer Double End Bag – 20lbs
- Ring to Cage Mexican style leather double-double end bag
Why should I invest in a double end bag for my boxing gym?
A heavy bag is great for developing power and perfecting form, but it does not do much in terms if improving your speed and agility.
Do you want to land more punches?
Challenge yourself using a double end bag. They are small and light and make a moving target, just like a real opponent.
It might feel awkward at first to train with a double end bag, it may even be frustrating to miss hits, but once you get the hang of it you will find that success carry over into practice and sparring with a real partner.
Make training on the double bag a consistent part or your routine for putting more accuracy and coordination into your punches.
There is not much use in being able to hit hard of you can not land a punch. This boxer might have benefited from a double end bag before taking on Muhammad Ali.
Timing, reaction speed
If your timing, balance and position are off, training with a double end bag will reveal this.
The great thing about these bags is that your improvements are also evident.
You will be able to easily see if you are making progress, which you will if you use this training tool without fail every training session.
How do I choose the right double end bag?
Size and Diameter
Double end bags come in a range of sizes and diameters. As a general rule, the larger diameter or heavier weight bags move slower. A larger bag is suitable for a beginner, but as you increase skill, speed and accuracy, consider training with a light and narrow bag.
Double bags come in several shapes.
Why choose one shape over another? Great question!
- Round (ball shaped): Shaped like a ball, these bags have a straighter rebound. They are easier to hit and rebound in a predictable fashion.
- Oval or egg shaped: Similar to the round bag, these bags are slightly elongated, but react similar to round bags.
- Mexican style (peanut shape) Double teardrop shape: These peanut shaped bags allow you to practice and hit a huge number of different angles. These bags also move straight. The shape and length of the bag allows you to practice your upper cut and lower body hits. These bags are somewhat hard to source, but if you look, you will find.
- Teardrop/ speedbag shaped bags: These are fatter at the bottom and taper at the top. They look like a standard speed bag, except they are hung on cords at the top and from the bottom, like all double end bags. They move and rebound on a curve, as they are not symmetrical. They can be some of the most challenging bags to hit consistently, as they are not as predictable as others, all the more reason to use one.
Your opponent won’t be predictable, so why not train with a bag that is not predictable either?
Most of these bags are made with Cow Hide leather.
A few are made with faux leather, and while I prefer real leather, the faux leather ones can be just as good.
At the same time, a good high quality faux leather bag can be far better than a leather bag made with low quality leather that rips at the seams and becomes useless.
The most important thing to check for is the material thickness, check that it has triple stitching and reinforced seams and stress points.
What is the right way to use a double end bag?
How to hang and mount a double end bag?
Mount the double end bag so it is about the same level as your head, but not higher. If using a Mexican style bag, the top of the bag should be the same height as the top of your head.
You can hang the bag with the straps as tight or loose as you like.
Tighter cords will cause the bag to move faster and not move in random directions.
Tighter cords are best for training speed, accuracy, making combos and rhythm.
A double end bag hung on looser cords will move in ways you might not expect, just like an opponent might. This unpredictability will allow you to practice your bob and weave, slipping and head movement.
Training using a double end bag
How to hit a double end bag
This video covers the idea behind training with a double end bag, and shows you how to build up to better timing and rhythm.
Double End bag tricks
This Double end bag training focuses on MMA and kickboxing drills.
The video includes techniques for finding a rhythm, steadying the bag, and head movement. The end of the video demos a few helpful combos.
Top 11 Best Double End Bag Reviews 2018
RDX Double End Speed Ball Bag Leather
Review: This RDX Double end bag is made from real Maya hide leather is nearly 16” long and includes bungees and mounting hardware. This bag has an internal rubber bladder you inflate to 7 or 8 psi.
- 16” long.
- Includes internal rubber bladder.
- Includes bungees and mounting hardware.
- Included cords could be improved.
Amber Elite Ultra Rebound Double End Bag
Review: This hearty amber double bag is constructed with a double layer of leather at the top and bottom, triple stitched and has a replaceable butyl bladder for many years of use.
- 6” by 9” compact size.
- Replaceable bladder.
- Made with real leather, doubled at the ends.
- Need to inflate occasionally.
TITLE Classic Advanced Double End Bag
Review: This double bag is relatively large, at 8” inches diameter, includes bungee cords, but not mounting hardware. It is perfect for beginner to intermediate boxers looking to improve hand eye coordination.
- Includes bungee cords.
- Internal butyl rubber bladder with zippered outer shell.
- Professionally balanced, good rebound.
- Does not include mounting hardware.
Lonsdale Barn Burner Leather Reaction Ball
Review: This Cowhide leather ball shaped reaction ball, double end bag is one of my favorites because of the shape and quality. It is a small ball, at 12.6 inches and 1.8 lbs and can be used to improve speed and power.
- Made from real leather, thick and durable.
- Bungee cords included.
- Reinforced ends, double leather, reinforced seams.
- No mounting hardware included.
WINNING Speed Punching Bag SB-7500 Double End
Review: This raindrop shaped double end bag by Winning will not disappoint. It is a narrow bag that is symmetrical in shape.
It is challenging to hit, and that is why the pros use it for practice. Similar shape and size to the one Manny Pacquiao trains with.
- 5.91″ diameter, quite narrow and nimble.
- Faux leather, metal rivets and hardware, extremely durable.
- Made in Japan.
TITLE Double End Bag
Review: This basketball sized round bag by Title is a solid addition to any boxing gym. It is practical and serviceable, and will be around for a while.
- 9” diameter.
- Includes cords and floor/ceiling mounts, a nice touch.
- Triple stitched leather shell.
- Bladder tends to leak, must be re-inflated.
Ringside Leather Double End Bag
Review: This ringside double end bag is a great value considering it is sturdy and made from real leather it has a surprisingly low price.
- Available in 5”, 7” and 9” sizes.
- Egg/oval shape – symmetrical.
- Includes bungee cables, but not mounting hardware.
- Does not include mounting hardware.
Ringside Cleto Reyes Double Double End Bag
Review: This Cleto Reyes Mexican style double end bag will have you working it from all angles. Practice jabs, hooks, upper cuts with speed and precision with this peanut shaped double end bag.
- Nylon lined Cowhide leather shell.
- Includes bungee cables, but not mounting hardware.
- 10” by 8” by 6”.
- Welted seams, reinforced ends.
- Bladders do tend to leak and re-inflation occasionally is necessary.
Fighting Sports Pro Double End Bag
Review: This high quality round double bag is made from durable cowhide leather and is professionally balanced to rebound like a champ.
- 8” diameter.
- Manufactured with pride in Japan.
- Made from Full grain leather hide.
- Hardware not included.
Outslayer Double End Bag – 20lbs
Review: Mix up your training with Outslayer combo heavy bag, double bag will train both power and reaction speed. It is heavy enough to hit hard, light enough to challenge your response and timing, and large enough to practice multiple hits.
- 20 lb weight, arrives at your door prefilled.
- 20” long with a 10 inch diameter.
- Made in the USA.
- You will need to purchase mounting hardware and a counter weight to use it.
Ring to Cage Mexican style leather double-double end bag
Review: Practice your head/body combos of this ring to cage Mexican style double bag. Durable, made of high quality leather, built to last.
This bag is long and narrow, making it a challenge to hit. Unfortunately, no cables or mounting hardware included.
- 26 “ tall, 7” diameter.
- Constructed from high quality leather.
- Straight even welts, well built peanut shaped bag.
- Bag is black and orange/red, not a true red.
Improve your speed and accuracy today!
Pick up one of the best double end bags get ready to see your progress carry over into the ring.
My name’s Mark. I’m super excited you’re here, because every visitor of Goodbye.ninja makes +1 member to the family of Martial Arts.