The most important piece of equipment for any BJJ practitioner is the gi, also known as the Jiu Jitsu kimono.
Simply going into a store and pointing at one won’t do. You need the best, for the best results.
The brand behind a gi is how you know what you are getting and doing some research before your purchase will save you money and hassle. The last thing you need is a gi that is too heavy, uncomfortable and rips after your first few rolls!
To make things easier we have compiled a list of the very best gi brands in the world of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
Through experience, research and trials we present not only the best brands, but also, the best gis you can find.
The company’s foundation in based on history and tradition, and using those principles, Fuji has become one of the most recognized brands in BJJ over the past 50 years.
Professional fighters tend to use Fuji fight-wear more than any other brand in the world. Some of the biggest names sporting their gear include Jimmy Pedro, Rick Hawn and Jena Bishop, and the list goes on and on.
The reason for this support is simple: Fuji’s extreme focus on quality, functionality and affordability puts them ahead of the game. Their gis, as well as their other products, are some of the most commonly used in the world of BJJ and Judo.
Let’s take a look at some of their best gis:
Fuji All Around Gi
- The Fuji All Around is one of the best gis you can find for reasonable price.
- Perfect for beginners, the gi is most suited for practice. It is strong, durable and well-fitted and so, can take a “beating” and be pulled and thrown without issues. The gi is comfortable and functional, making training much easier.
- Being a very basic gi it lacks the flair and little accessories of the more expensive gis. The gi is a little thick for a single weave, lightweight gi.
- It also has limited sizes, making it difficult to fit perfectly on some users with different body types.
- We recommend carefully checking the size guide of the gi before ordering, as Fuji sizes and other gi sizes often differ slightly.
Fuji Sekai Gi
- Possibly the best feature of the Sekai gi are the extremely light, triple-reinforced rip stop trousers. They guarantee flexibility without fear of ripping or tearing.
- With contrast stitching, a stiff collar with extra stitching and some cool patches on the arms the Sekai gi is stylish enough to have the compliments pouring in.
- It also includes a very sturdy trouser cord that keeps them firmly in place when rolling around.
- Great for anyone looking to step up their BJJ and buy an amazing gi by one of the best BJJ gi brands in the world.
- Sekai gi may put some people off, especially beginners and those who don’t take BJJ too seriously.
- As with most Fuji gis the size is a problem, so many practitioners recommend buying the gi at one size bigger and then shrinking it to perfection by washing.
Venum is renowned for being an innovative forward-thinking company.
They are constantly improving and upgrading their most successful gis, so you will find that some have 2.0 or 3.0 at the end of the name.
Their gis are stylish with an aggressive edge, an edge that just looks cool on a fighter. The company is known for extreme quality and high attention to comfort. After all, their gis are made with some of the finest cotton around.
It’s no surprise that Venum gis are worn by many successful figures in the world of BJJ and martial arts, including BJJ World Champion Rodolfo Vieira and famous UFC fighter Wanderlei Silva.
Here are the best Venum gis to keep an eye out for:
Venum Challenger 2.0 Gi
- The premium, pre-shrunk Pearl Weave cotton used makes the Challenger gi comfortable, well-fitted and helps absorb moisture, making it extra handy for those long, intense training sessions.
- The knees, cuffs, collar and shoulders have been reinforced for better resistance and a special triangular yoke has been sown into the crotch area of the pants to give the wearer a better range of motion.
- The cord holding up the trousers may not stay on after a few washes as it is rather delicate.
Venum Absolute 2.0 Gi
- The Absolute 2.0 is a very attractive gi. The heavy-duty Gold Weave fabric stops it from ripping and tearing, while the entire gi is fully lined with spandex making it more comfortable and helping with control moisture.
- The gi comes with a stylish cotton backpack to keep it in.
- As with many Venum gis, the rope lace for fastening the trousers isn’t very durable and comes loose easily.
Tatami hasn’t been on the scene for quite as long as many of the other brands, but they have came in strong and left their mark, and are now regarded as one of the very best BJJ gi brands out there.
While many pro fighters are choosing to wear Tatami gis these days, Tatami’s focus as a company is to make the sport of BJJ accessible to everyone. They do this by making high quality gis and selling them at very affordable prices.
The quality, comfort and durability of Tatami gis can all rival the more established brands.
Have a look at:
Tatami Nova Gi
- Tatami Nova is a high quality gi, making it perfect for beginners who aren’t ready to spend a fortune on a gi.
- Some features include a rubberised collar for sweat absorption, triple stitching across all stress points and a rope drawstring to keep the trousers tightly fastened! The new Tatami shoulder patches also make it an attractive gi. A free belt is included as well!
- The gi isn’t as thick as most, and some have been known to rip after too many washes and intense training sessions.
Tatami Estilo Premier 5.0
- The Tatami Estillo is the crème de la crème of Tatami gis, and the Premier is an updated version of the original.
- The original Tatami Estilo canvas pants and light Pearl Weave jacket are still part of the gi but the updated version now offers a few new features:
- A special Y shaped jacket vent and a sublimated yoke on the collar improve the look and fit of the gi. Furthermore, a new special tape lines the inside of the arm cuffs, leg cuffs and jacket ends, all for increased quality, better moisture control and durability.
- The only downside is that the gi is that it’s a little pricey
- However, for the truly dedicated BJJ practitioners that is a small price to pay for such a high quality gi.
Gameness has been on the scene for 15 years and in that short time the company has come to be regarded as one of the best in the industry.
As one of the best BJJ gi brands they excel in both quality and innovation, going above and beyond to make training and tournaments comfortable.
The style of their gis is unique, so when you wear Gameness people will know!
The company is known for their quick and helpful customer service and Gameness staff go above and beyond to make their customers happy.
All their hard work can be seen through the many awards they have received, more awards, it should be mentioned, than most of the other brands out there.
Gameness gis are as good as they come and here are the best of the bunch:
- Firstly, the Elite gi by Gameness looks really damn cool! Beautiful contrast accents and high stitch count embroideries all make it an eye-catching gi.
- There is a built-in rash guard in the jacket that makes rolling more comfortable than ever. Gameness was the first to introduce the rash guard to their gis, and have pretty much perfected the process.
- The pants are made of high-grade rip stop fabric, providing increased durability. The technical draw cord and the 6 loop system keeps the pants in place and fitting perfectly, no matter how much you roll and pull.
- Whichever angle you look at it, the Elite gi rules!
- The gi is a little costly, much more than many practitioners are willing to part with. It is, however, a great tool for any passionate BJJ fighter.
Gameness Pearl Weave
- The Pearl Weave gi won the 2013 quality award from Jits Magazine. That fact alone speaks for the quality of the gi.
- It is made of the highest quality cotton and the newly upgraded twill pants, made with a cotton/poly blend fabric, ensure maximum comfort and durability.
- As the gi seems to be upgraded often make sure you know which edition you are buying, be it the 2013 edition, the 2015 edition, or a different year’s Pearn Weave gi.
- The style of the gi is very clean and plain, and although that may work for some it lacks that edge and flare that many competitors look for in a gi.
Koral is one of the smaller gi makers and operates out of one location in California. However, this hasn’t stopped the company from selling their products to over 25 countries worldwide and reaching international success and recognition.
The main reason Koral has become one of the best gi brands in the world is their innovative manufacturing system.
By using live models to perfect the sizes of theirs gi, using pre-shrunk cotton and putting their gis through a secret processing system, the sizing problem wearers confront with most gi brands is non-existent when you choose Koral.
Their gis fit perfectly and feel better, right out of the packaging.
They offer a limited range of gis, but they are all made with attention to detail and hard work.
Here are some favourites:
Koral MKM Competition
- True to it’s name, this gi is perfect for competitions.
- It is fitted, making it harder for your opponent to grab onto you, yet still providing you with enough room to move freely.
- An EVA foam rubber collar slows the growth of bacteria, dries quickly and, again, makes it harder for your opponent to grab you.
- The MKM gi looks professional and edgy and is made with the classic Koral methods- model-sized to fit and pre-shrunk premium cotton.
- Just in case you are sceptical and think you’ll be cheating with such an amazing tool, rest assured- the gi has been approved for IBJJF and CBJJF competition.
- The gi is rather expensive and is more suited for competitions.
- The Koral Classic is a strong gi, for both competitions and intense training sessions.
- The top is made with one piece of fabric and no seam at the back, making it stronger and more durable.
- It includes the same EVA foam rubber collar as the MKM but differs, as the gi is made with slightly lighter fabric than other Koral gis and provides a looser fit.
- Cool Koral logos are embroidered on the sleeves.
- The Koral Classic is a beautiful gi, but the look can be considered too plain for many fighters attending competitions.
Whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or competitor, the perfect gi is out there waiting for you.
With some of the best BJJ gi brands in mind you are off to a great start and one step closer to finding the gi for you.
Here are a few more tips to help you along:
- Get the size right, read and read some more, and find out which size is best for you! Brands differ!
- Know what you want, be it training or competition, before even beginning the search for the perfect gi.
- Decide how much you will put into this. The last thing you need is to buy an expensive Gi and end up training once.
Now that we’re suited up, let’s get training!